Friday, 7 March 2008


I've been reading about Lunar gardening and am interested to see how it can affect veg - so I'm going to experiment with it a bit (though probably won't stick to it rigidly -making good use of fine weather spells, etc.). However, even though it is probably a tad early I've gone by the moon to put in some early spuds on a 'root' day. The ground was lovely to work, we dug in the manure we put on a few weeks back and popped them in. To be on the safe side I put some black plastic sheeting over too in case of frosts.

We had some really strong winds on Friday night. I went to check the plot on Saturday and there was only damage to 3 greenhouse panes. We were lucky, up the hill a shed had been turned over and one greenhouse had no glass left at all due to the door being blown into and out the back of the greenhouse. I think we're quite sheltered where we are.

Anyway, I cleared up the glass and Hubby changed the panes for some spares on Sunday. The strange thing was that the door was still on and there was clearly one pane that had smashed on the slab when it was blown/shaken out of the frame. The other, however was some six foot away on my broadie bed (poor things - a little flat but otherwise okay). I still don't get how it got flung so far out of the frame??? CSI, I am not!

The UK had an earthquake on Tues 26th we felt it very strongly here. Shook us awake then very nearly jolted us out of bed! A very weird experience!

Hubby planted a row of 6 Wilko asparagus. Not sure I really like them, so this is his project (under my guidance of course ;o) ).

In the greenhouse I've sown Corona D'ora (with and without the moon) and Mr Fearn's beans also moon trialled Kelvedon Wonder Peas and some really tall peas I swapped for at Ryton Potato Day - all in loo rolls.

Also sowed some Kelvedon and Lincoln Peas in guttering.
Sowed some small onions from my back garden last year to see if they do anything. These are the white ones and I've 9 Red Baron too.

Pic of my leeks and mammoth white and red onion seedlings. Germinated at home and now in the greenhouse at the plot. Happy enough!

Hubby made me some fab carrotfly foiling frames to put over the carrot beds, which I think are great. I think I'd like something similar for the parsnips. They're buried a bit nd secured with tent pegs so hopefully won't move.

I seem to have a fair few bulbs springing up on the plot next to my manure bins (and probably under them too - as we didn't know they were there). I'm keen to see what they actually are. I found these little fellas too on the next door plot that will soon be a communal area and saving them from the rotavator moved them to this bed. The community plot will still be able to see them as it's right next to them (but out of harm's way).

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts with Thumbnails