Pages

Tuesday 13 January 2009

Bit Chilly - Brrrrr!

We haven't really been down to the plot for a good few weeks, what with stuff on in the Christmas run up. Happily everything seems fine. No weeds are growing so all the beds we dug are still dug and sitting expectantly waiting for crops or manure to go in/on (now where do I get that from?). I really feel on top of it this year. We've dug the final bed and it's all about preparation for next year.

Here we are in the middle of winter and we are still pulling up produce from the plot. In my tub I've got beetroot, jeruselem artichokes, parsnips and PSB! Fab, and all went into a yummy roast.


A fella up the hill gave me some spring cabbage seedlings. They were in the greenhouse, but began to look a little sorry for themselves. I decided to plant them and cover with a cloche (that I got for Xmas, thanks M & D). They've got as much chance in the ground - at least they've room to grow and will get some nutrients. 2 weeks on, they are happy enough (By the way, the foil trays were to scare off the pigeons, but 3 have already fallen off and I find the noise really irritating so I don't think they will stay!).


A full length plot view!


We had a new visitor on our plot. I'd love to say I was responsible for the photo below, but unfortunately I was not - my efforts are next! It's from the RSPB website
http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/b/blackredstart/index.asp I'd never seen one of these birds before and it seems it's quite rare and on the Amber list for conservation. Very exciting, especially if it's a mating pair and not just a migrating visitor!

My amazing photos......well it was fairly far away!!


Below is the last bed we needed to dig for the first time. Not sure what I'll put in it. Courgettes maybe?

Another sort of 3/4 view of the plot.


Lastly, my MIL bought me 6 step-over apple trees for my birthday in June and at last they have arrived (at the right time to plant!). We tried them all over the plot but have settled for mostly along the main paths. We'll put a path behind them too and shuffle the beds around a little. It's quite hard to see them in the photos, but they looks great - basically running between the posts where the girl put each tree's roots to bed under the pile of straw. Mmmmmm can't wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails